It is tradition for Moonshine Ink to submit staff-selected best-of-the-best stories/illustrations/photos/advertisements to the National Newspaper Association’s Better Newspaper contests each year. The organization seeks to recognize top community journalism efforts across the country.
The past few years have yielded an adjacent tradition for the Ink: winning awards.
Our latest batch of submissions, which covered our 2022 publications, received accolades in the following categories:
- 3rd place, Best Series Ad Idea, Color: Pass It On, Heather Solomon, Sarah, Mayumi Peacock, and Gen John
- 2nd place, Best Original Editorial Cartoon: Water Clarity, Mike English
- 2nd place, Best Breaking News Photo: Finding Kiely, Mayumi Peacock
- Honorable Mention, Best Environmental Story: Why Is it Taking so Long for AT&T to Remove the Abandoned Cables From Under Lake Tahoe?, Megan Michelson
- 2nd place, Best Health Story: The Spirit in the Water, Le’a Gleason
- 3rd place, Best Health Story: Legalizing the Therapeutic Trip, Brian Broom-Peltz
- 2nd place, Best Non-Profile Feature Story: The Secret Mountain Laboratory, David Fenimore
- 3rd place, Best Non-Profile Feature Story: Growing Old in Tahoe, Alex Hoeft
- 1st place, Best Front Page Design: November 2022: Two Decades of the Ink, Mike English
- 2nd place, Best Front Page Design: September 2022: Workforce Woes, Sarah Miller
- Honorable Mention, Best Business Story: Days Gone By, Ted Coakley III