The Shop Local Revolution
1) It’s really, really good for the community
When you shop at Truckee/Tahoe-owned businesses instead of chains or online, more money stays in the community — about 30 percent more — and this sustains thousands of local jobs.
2) The millennials are doing it
According to a study by Randall Research, 40 percent of millennials claim a preference for buying local, because they like feeling connected to the products they buy.
3) Walmart sucks … local jobs
We just had to toss this one in here. A University of Illinois study found that the opening of a Walmart in the study area resulted in the loss of approximately 300 full-time-equivalent jobs in nearby neighborhoods.
4) Buy local campaigns (like this one) work
In an Institute for Local Self Reliance study of more than 3,000 business owners, independent business in communities with a long-term “buy local and independent campaign” reported average revenue growth of 7.4 percent, nearly double the 4.2 percent increase for independent businesses not served by such efforts.
Why You Should Gift-Shop Locally This Season
• All of the reasons we listed above.
• This area is full of talent. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of local craftsmen and -women in Truckee/Tahoe, all with unique products.
• You procrastinated. Luckily, most local merchants know that the whole world buys gifts the day before Christmas and they go out of their way to stay open for all of us poor planners.
7 Businesses | 50 Jobs
There are seven local businesses included on this page, which employ 50 people. Imagine the impact of losing any one of them!
spreading the stoke in Tahoe